Followers

Sunday 29 December 2019

Aloe Birthday

Hello again,

I hope everyone has had a wonderful Christmas and you are looking forward to the new year. 

Summer is in full swing here in Aus, it is extremely hot and very smoky courtesy of the large bushfires burning either side of the mountains I call home. The now named 'Monster' Fire has burnt through 846,391Hectares of land, the fires on the other side of the mountains has burnt through 240,911hectares of land and as you can see the size of the land burnt out would eclipse the whole of the Sydney area. The fire at the bottom of the picture has burnt around the Warragamba Dam, which is Sydney's drinking water catchment. (Please note the greyed out areas represent where the fires have been, I have been unable to find a map which shows active fire burning- It is not all alight)

Blue diamonds represent fires burning at a Watch and Act stage
White diamonds represent grass fires, Vehicle accidents etc.
(also have yellow and red diamonds with the flame in it when fires are at a higher level)

One of the fires is called Grose Valley Fire and a video was recorded of the fire running up a 200m high cliff face which can be viewed here at the Guardian Website I have also heard that the area the fires have burnt in NSW is equal to the land size of Wales, the two fires above total 1,087,302 hectares, NSW has burnt through a little over 3million hectares.

Okay, no more fires for now on to the card I have made today, this one will be headed to my next door neighbour who loves succulents and cacti, her son has made her a little wooden train using scrap timber which she has planted out with a variety of succulents. I had started to draw a line inside the die before removing it, but it came out and I was left with scribbled lines I couldn't fix, so I coloured it all in... so much for my doodled edge...

Here is my card:-

What I used:-
White 12.6x17.8cm card blank
timber design paper
Vera Lane Aloe Vera digi image 
Kaisercraft texture die 'Geo Lines'
Kaisercraft Hexagon die
various scrap papers
MFT Label maker sentiments
Colorbox Black ink pad
Derwent coloured pencils
Black fine line pen


I would like to enter:
Christmas Snippet's Playground- any crafts using snippets
613 Avenue Create Anything goes option of zentangle/doodling
Crafts Galore Encore Anything Goes
Make My Monday Challenge #112 A Female Birthday
Southern Girls Challenge Anything goes

Thank you for looking in...
Have a wonderful week.. 
Megan 

P.S. a Huge Thank you to all my lovely blogging friends and visitors who stop by and take the time to leave me a comment, I truly appreciate them all!

16 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

Those fires must be so devastating Megan - it's hard to comprehend the reality of size of them.
Love that card - the dark frame looks quite dramatic around the focal image
Blessings
Maxine

KandA said...

Hi Megan I hope you had a wonderful christmas. As you may guess that map is in my bookmarked pages and I've been checking it most days since the fires started and I'm getting regular updates from my daughter. Fabulous card and a great image and I'm sure your neighbour will love it xx

Monika said...

Thank you for sharing your project with us at the Crafts Galore Encore “Anything Goes” December Challenge. DT Monika.

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

I love the sweet aloe image and the colored border looks totally on purpose. I also like the geometric die cut as the base.

Thanks for sharing the map. Of course I have heard about the fires but I did not have an idea of what area that they had covered before.

Mrs A. said...

Oh Megan, these bush fires are truly devastating. We here in England are bemonaning the rain we have been getting but if we could would gladly send some. The climate for the whole of the World is changing at an alarming rate. Your friends succulent train sounds lovely and the card you have made for her looks fine to me. I often have to hide up mistakes on my cards. Hugs Mrs A.

Basslady said...

a fabulous card!

thank you so much for playing along with us at make my Monday challenge!

hugs and kisses from germany,
Silvi xoxo

Brenda in IN said...

This is so terrible and my heart goes out to everyone in the path of these fires. It is such a huge area that has burned. Your neighbor will love this personalized card you made for her. A great save with the doodling!

Di said...

Gosh, that map really does bring it home Megan. The fires are surely unprecedented, the rest of the World can only hope they're soon burned out or extinguished. We moan here about the constant rain we've been having - rain which I'm sure you would all love. Stay safe!

I love your card with the wonderful succulent taking centre stage. I thought it was an Aloe Vera right away - a natural healer. And your neighbour will be delighted with her card for sure.

Hugs

Di xx

loz said...

Beautiful card Megan.. Hopefully the fires will ease off for the new year and all the firefighters can have a rest...Loz

Kathleen said...

A lovely card Megan, love the colour of the background and the lovely image and the use of the black border.
Hope you had a lovely Christmas.

Kath x

Cathy said...

I'm up in Northern NSW Megan so we are having a reprieve from the fires at the moment, my thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone else being affected at the moment, please send us all loads of rain to put an end to this nigtmare! Take care, Cathy x

Dawn Phillips said...

Beautiful card hun. I hope that you stay safe and the fires are sorted soon. Thanks for joining us at Make My Monday. Love Dawn x

Sarah said...

I cannot imagine what it must be like suffering such devastation to such a wonderful country. If we could send some of our rain, we surely would. What a great card, love the design xx

* Shell B.* said...

Wonderful card! Thanks for sharing with us at 613 Avenue Create Challenge!
Happy Holidays!
Shell *DT

aussie aNNie said...

Hi Megan, good to read on my blog you are safe it has been horrific...Love your card too, great design as well..xx

EmmaT said...

Lovely card and image. It must be so terrifying and heartbreaking to be so near the fires. Lots of hugs Emmax